translate

Tuesday 4 February 2020

SIT NEXT TO ME #PoetryByFionaCummings


SIT NEXT TO ME

BY FIONA CUMMINGS

 

A blank canvas

A brush and a dish

A pot of paint but what colour will I choose?

What will I draw?

A lady with a fine dress, and high heeled shoes?

A pretty face?

Sleeves with lace?

What colour hair?

Eyes, will they stare?

Blue, green or brown

A smile or a frown?

Will she paint tired

Will her looks be admired?

Perhaps she will be well placed with royalty

Or a poor person

A look that makes her appear guilty?

Sit with me at my easel, and see what I have chosen?

Will she be feeble, or strong?

Will she be adventurous, or in time frozen?

 Stuck in a rut

Looking over her shoulder

Waiting at home for her long-left soldier

Will he be back?

Shall I reach for the black?

Shall I give her a sunhat?

Does she look the kind to own a cat?

What does a person look like who owns a cat?

Hmm. So, much to think about

But what a privilege without a doubt

I’m fortunate

I can create a life

A talking point

As art is what the eye see’s and the mind excepts

Art can’t have any regrets

It’s a sin to disregard what we dislike

For our mistakes, is someone else’s light

Out of the darkness

Away from madness

Somewhere to go

Even if it’s only a visit to their mind

Imagination

Passion

But what for those who are blind?

What do they see before them?

If they hold a pen

How can they create a picture?

A life?

Do they see the blood on the knife?

The end of a life

The birth of a child

The beauty of the wild

From a storm to weather so mild

What is the sun to them but for the heat?

What is a connection

If eyes don’t meet

Life without colour

Must be a lonely place

Expressionless features

Upon the face

Sadness in a fallen tear

A rise of a glass at the end of the year

A love so fair

A match as dark as the night

A star jumping in fright

The moon glowing with delight

An owl in flight

A fisherman looking for a bite

A hunter traumatising a rabbit in fear

A killing machine, poised to a deer

Sitting here

What will I paint?

A cottage ever so quaint?

With a straw roof

Sitting on top of a head of stone

All alone

In a place so remote

 Or on the rough see’s

A boat

Biting through the waves

In a mist

A haze

How do I get that effect?

Nothing is perfect

Life isn’t so, why should my picture be

Oh, shells and rocks along the sea

A Stoney beach golden sands are just a memory

Driftwood finds its way to shore

Collect it to make a barn door?

Or a coat rack

And paint it black

And here we have my painting

Thank you for waiting

The sea is in the distance

A Victorian lady looks like she is doing a dance

Pointed tows tap naked on the sand

Lifting her long dress

Not to get it in a mess

Her floppy bonnet

She beams as she misspoken wet

Tiptoeing through the white waves

Out to see are all the graves

To the lost sailors and crews

The mixture of blues

Green and whites

The sailing boats and yachts

A perfect spot

To paint a picture

But does it have to be for the world to see?

Perhaps I should keep it in my mind

As that is where a person who is blind

Keeps their art work

Not on a wall

Or a shelf so tall

Looking like it’s going to fall

  From somewhere small

Like a coffee table

Or a knight stand

Welcome to my land

My world

Where coal looks like gold

And secrets should never be told

Open your mind and frame your life

Let it be whatever it wants to be

Set your mind free

Sit next to me

See if you can paint, what I can see

 

© Fiona Cummings

 

 

 

No comments: