translate

Tuesday 24 December 2019

MERRY CHRISTMAS 2019


It’s the Eve before Christmas and our house has its usual Christmas smells of delicious food. Hub and I have been cooking all day. An achievement we are always so proud of. Hub makes a meatloaf and his stuffing he also cooks his turkey. I have prepared a stuffing for Boy Wonder suitable for vegans and a stuffing for me and Hub. I have also prepared all of the vegetables. White cabbage, parsnips, baby carrots, turnip, sprouts and tomorrow we will do green beans and mushy peas. Mine and our Sons favourite part of Christmas dinner. Not many people in the UK have mushy peas for their Christmas lunch, just as they don’t have Yorkshire puddings, but I do. This year because our Son is a vegan, he won’t be having Yorkshires and Hub doesn’t like them, yep, that is so not normal how can anyone not love Yorkshire puddings? My lovely dear friend in Canada has them with her Christmas lunch and our Indian Neighbours and friends also cook them. I love that. We have mash potatoes and Roast Potatoes with rosemary. Hub also made himself pigs in blankets. Not something I talk about in front of my Son, even I feel awful saying it. But they are small sausages wrapped in Smokey streaky bacon. So, Hub will have a meat feast tomorrow for sure.

 

I have a vegetarian roast for me and our Son brought a parcel he got specially cooked by a chef yesterday. Bless him, after doing a 12-hour shift at work, he drove over an hour each way to pick up something this chef cooked for him. The guy wanted £25 for that plus a soft cheese he made, it’s a vegan cheese. But our boy gave the man £35. He is too kind, there is a tip and a tip… I bought our boy a vegan sausage reef that has a herb crumb over it so again, one meat eater, one vegetarian and one vegan for lunch. It’s remembering what not to add butter and eggs. I have vegan butter but for dessert, we have brandy sauce, BW will have to have vegan custard. With Christmas pudding. I also have BW a vegan mince pie, sweet mince. And he has vegan chocolate eclairs. Obviously not real chocolate unless it’s dark chocolate. They are frozen, just need to take them out of the freezer in the morning.

 

As I am writing this, we have beautiful hymns from Kings college. All the Chorister’s who go to that school, have a place in the best Universities in England.

 

This year is a better choir than I have ever heard before. Gosh it’s so beautiful. I can hardly hear the words on my computer as I am typing these words to you. Hub has it turned up really loud and we have speakers and a sound bar so you can        probably hear the carols from whatever country you are reading this from right now.

 

Hub has had his traditional sherry and I am about to light my candle for all the people we have lost over the years. This year, my school friend and a very close dear friend we miss so very much. I have pinecones that light up around my fire and they smell of cinnamon. In my conservatory, I have sprayed the glass with artificial snow. Our Son saw it yesterday and wouldn’t believe that I did it. Hahah. To be honest, I am amazed it has turned out OK, I tried to create stars on some windows, a Christmas tree on another, some windows have crosses and waves on another. Then I have done the final windows with spirals. I just close my eyes and try to imagine being able to see the glass and it’s worked. Now when it comes to cleaning the windows? Em, that may be a bigger job than I hope for. my brother in law is coming soon so, he may get that job. Haha.

 

Now there are words coming from our speakers Hub says is old English translated from Hebrew. I just said to him. In days gone by, how on earth did people translate languages into English? I mean, not that many people travelled abroad or came here, because it wasn’t as easy to travel then as it is now…

 

All gifts are wrapped nuts in shells are in the dishes along with shiny papered chocolates. Tangerines are in the fruit dish and cinnamon fills the house with the delight of Christmas. This is the first year we haven’t had our lovely carol singers at the door. Shame as they are stunning. They come every year. Same girls. Perhaps they are too old now…

 

We had a lovely weekend out with our son and his girlfriend. And tomorrow the four of us will open gifts and that will be it for another year. So much has happened this year, so much. Terrible things for us personally, but out of this year, has come some pretty amazing things too. Special. Gifts that money can’t buy and achievements that were way beyond our beliefs.

 

 

I pray next year will bring happiness for you, peace for those who right now are suffering. Freedom for those who are trapped right now and warm hugs for those who need them.

 

Later on, our Son will be wrapping his gifts to others last minute Charlie as always. We are blessed though to have such a lovely Son who we love so much. I am so grateful how much love my Husband shows him and all he has done for BW in the past few weeks. Our Son has a busy few weeks ahead of him and thanks to Hub, I’m hopeful he will achieve his dream.

 

Talking of Hub, he suggested today that next Christmas may be different and his suggestion does sound rather exciting, but personally I’m not quite convinced. But watch this space.

 

For those of you who are on your own tomorrow, as I always say, it’s one day and you are not the only person on your own. All we hear of are people getting together with their families, we don’t hear of all those who are by themselves, but there are so many. There are only the four of us tomorrow but for lunch only three as Sham is going out with her family to the pub and she is cooking dinner as her mother is working again. She works every year. It’s a shame as Christmas is a special day and her father is over from Ireland, he’s not young, if only she realised how important it is to have family especially your parents, I wish Hub and I had ours still but sadly this is too many Christmas’s without them. I hope they have a happy Christmas in heaven.

 

OK we have finished the hymns we now have the movie Wallace and Gromit.

Talk about variety?

 

I shall leave you with parcels of love and Christmas wishes. May they all come true. Thank you for your lovely emails and for all those who read my blogs. Thank you to all of those who dedicate Christmas day for others.    

Merry Christmas Bloggets.

 

 

Fiona Cummings 24/12/2019

 

No comments: