translate

Wednesday 14 March 2018

TWIDDLE TURN AND INHALE #FionaPefi


Good afternoon. It’s late. I have been really busy today. Two hours in the kitchen to end the afternoon. Tonight’s dinner? Well, have you ever started to cook, not knowing what the heckers you are going to cook, thinking you have a bag of lentils turns out using my App Tap Tap See on my iPhone, the bag of lovely red lentils are in fact Swedish muesli!!!

Well, jogging on… Turned out I have no lentils to make the dish I didn’t have a clue what was going to be… I gathered quite a collection of bags and boxes from my cupboard reminding me of old days when leading to pancake Tuesday, cupboards were cleared out to make way for new and end the fasting… Sorting out what I had and, in my case, didn’t have… I went to the rescue of my fridge. Mushrooms. 750g of them and some that had been forgotten from a couple of days ago in a drawer in my fridge. Garlic and onions… So, I started to cook. Everything washed chucked in the pan. Still not knowing what it was. People who can see would laugh as you just turn your pan on a number and your oven…. Not this blind chef… Oh, no…. just guessing I twiddle turn and inhale whilst listening out for my smoke alarm. Haha.

 

I found a flat pack that read loads of numbers to me through my phone then just the word that made things clear. Strog. That’s all it read. So, I knew there was an off or an ov somewhere along the way, OK this was going to be a mushroom stroganoff, right? Found some cream in the fridge only a few days old so ok, then added some sherry. Topped with fresh herbs. Couldn’t remember what I ordered in my delivery this week, but knew it wasn’t mint, so OK. In that went. Pepper beans and a tin of tomatoes. A shake of a tin I thought I had hit on right away with the tinned tomatoes, but no, something told me about the sound it was too noisy. Tap Tap See to the rescue. It was tomato soup. Back in the cupboard that went and eventually found canned tomatoes.

 

Now what else could I add? I found what I thought was rice… but, my App wouldn’t read it. Turned out to be barley. Well I did find the rice as my Son came from his pit… sounding half dead. 12 hours not enough sleep for Boy Wonder. Mum, he said. That is rice. So, at last. As for the barley? Haha, it was cooking nicely in a pan with a veg stock cube stirring it and then when all the water left the building, it went in the large casserole dish along with everything from the frying pan. I must say, it did smell lovely. My rice I shall cook later when it’s time to eat.

 

Then the big clean up. My Hub says I’m the messiest cook he knows… Not sure apart from his Mum how many cooks he’s known, but hey ho! I just tell him all the best chefs are messy.

Then I pray.

 

I shall wait and see what the dish turns out like I made Hub fish pie yesterday, he told me it was world class. Professional. Delicious. When he went to bed, he said, oh, I can’t stop thinking about that fish pie. Hehehehehe. If only he knew how easy that was? You know when some… Not saying who? People go on diets and have cheat nights? Well my night yesterday was a cheat night not eating whatever I fancied, but cooking whatever and well, cheating. But when I think just how easy that was to make and have bought those awful frozen ones in the past, I just don’t understand why companies have to make things that taste so awful.

 

From the hygienic kitchen to my doggy doodle run. Now, if that doesn’t put me of my dinner, nothing will. I hate cleaning that out, especially in the winter. It’s too cold to be messing with, well, mess. And, water. Buckets of it. But two dogs equal em. Well, a lot of cleaning.

 

You can always rely on me for talking dirty….

 

Sad news today many famous people have died. An English entertainer who I have great memories of from childhood and early adult. Jim Bowen. I loved him. And Professor Stephen Hawking. A blog I just wrote about him a few days ago, and someone I personally didn’t find funny but I know loads who did was Ken Dodd. I met him when I was a child. I was taken to his dressing room it was a big publicity thing again. My Mum loved him. He too was an entertainer. He married his girlfriend two days before he died. They had been together forever. He had been in hospital for six weeks before he got out to marry her and sadly die. I can’t imagine that wedding day. Obviously, they knew he was dying and that is why they married.

 

It’s sad about Stephen because he was a brain we need in this country, though in an earlier blog I did confess I didn’t understand his scientific lingo.

 

And finally, Russia again, we really have fallen out with them. For the first time I feel far apart from Russia. It was my Motherland though I’m English was born in England, Russia was my home more than England was as a child and young adult. I couldn’t call boarding school home, and every holiday when I should have been at home with my parents and big brother, it was spent in fact in Moscow. So, I learn to love it there though I could write books on that place. My experiences growing up there.

 

OK, a duster has my name on it and buckets of water and disinfectant.

 I just love living the highlife.

 

No comments: